A completed math and writing assessment is required to apply to BHSEC Manhattan, in addition to the NY DOE High School Application. We invite you to take your assessment at the Manhattan or Queens campus. No matter which location you choose, you can still apply to either school. Please be aware, if you are invited back for an interview, the interview will be at the location where you take the assessment.
About the Assessment
The BHSEC Assessment was created and developed by the BHSEC faculty and administration to assess applicants writing, thinking, and mathematical skills.
- There are two parts to the assessment: a math section which assesses the student’s current math level, and an essay writing section based on a selected reading.
- Applicants are given one and a half hours to complete the entire assessment.
- There are no test preparation materials for this assessment.
Registering for the Assessment
You must register before taking the assessment. Online registration will begin September 4 and end October TBD, 2019. If the applicant attends a public or charter school it is helpful to have the student’s OSIS number and the school’s DBN number available during registration. Students who require special accommodations, should carefully read the “Students Eligible for Special Testing Accommodations” section below.
We try to make it as convenient as possible for you so that if you are applying to both campuses, you only need to take the assessment one time. However, if you are invited back for an interview, you will be interviewed at the location where you took the assessment. Please consult our admissions requirements before signing up for an assessment.
Please be aware that it may take over 5 weeks to process an assessment.
Note: BHSEC Manhattan is not considering students for the 10th grade.
Bard High School Early College Manhattan Assessments
525 East Houston Street, New York, NY 10002
Fall 2019 Dates
General Education Students
Monday, September 16 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, September 17 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, September 18 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 19 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, October 2 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 19 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Students Eligible for Special Testing Accommodations
Students with disabilities who have Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) or approved 504 Accommodation Plans are eligible for supports and accommodations on tests. Students must complete the online registration form and submit the page of their current IEP and/or approved 504 Accommodation Plan that includes the complete description of the testing accommodation(s) a week before the scheduled testing date. Fax: 212-777-4702 Attn: Admissions or E-mail: Manhattan@bhsec.bard.edu
Special Testing Accommodations Dates
Thursday, September 26 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, October 24 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
For additional information about testing accommodations, visit the Department of Education’s website.
For assessments at Bard High School Early College Queens, please click here.
What to Bring to the Assessment
Items to bring to the assessment session:
- A copy of your final report card from your previous grade. Applicants applying to the 9th grade should bring their final 7th grade report card. Applicants applying to the 10th grade should bring their final 8th grade report card. If your attendance is not included on your report card, please submit an attendance report as well*.
- A sharpened # 2 pencil.
Items not to be used during the assessment:
- Any electronic device (cell phone, media player, head phones, camera ect.). Electronic devices must be turned off and be stored out of sight while in the building.