A completed online assessment is required to apply to BHSEC Manhattan, in addition to the NY DOE High School Application.
About the Assessment and rubric components
The BHSEC Assessment was created and developed by the BHSEC faculty and administration to assess applicants writing, thinking, and interest in an early college.
- There are two parts to the assessment: two writing prompts and a short video statement.
- The answers to the writing prompts are to be typed or copy and pasted into the Google Form. They should be approximately 200-500 words or 1100-2500 characters per prompt . The answers should be well organized and well written, showing clarity, and creative or original thinking.
- The video statement should be between 1-2 minutes and uploaded to the Google Form. The applicant should be engaging, clear, and show signs of preparation.
Students will be ranked based on the following rubric components:
- Humanities Response – 30%
- STEM Response – 30%
- Video Response – 30%
- 2019-20 Marking Period Grades – 10%
How to Take the Online Assessment
Before you begin our online assessment please read requirements and tips listed below:
- In order to be eligible for possible admissions for FALL 2021, you must currently be a New York City resident and be in the 8th grade. the Manhattan campus is not considering transfer students.
- Give yourself at least an hour and a half to complete the assessment.
- If you require special accommodations for testing please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- If you attend a public school, have your 9 digit student ID OSIS number available.
- You need to have a GMAIL account to upload your video. In the event that you do not, please create a GMAIL account and then proceed. If you do not wish to create a GMAIL account, you will need to complete the online assessment and then email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emailed video submissions must be made the same day as submitting the online assessment.
- You will not be able to return to the online assessment once you submit it, therefore, it is best to create the video first and THEN fill out the online assessment.
- Video statements must be under 2 minutes and under 1GB. (See Video Statement Section Below)
- Review your video to ensure that there is sound and picture before uploading it.
- Applications without a video will result in lower scores.
- Essay Prompts: 200-500 words or 1100-2500 characters.
- All fields with asterisk (*) are required.
- You may only submit one online assessment.
- The deadline for the online assessment is March 1, 2021
- Click HERE for the assessment.
In the past we have held one on one interviews to get to know each applicant. We are not able to meet with you in person this year due to the pandemic. However we still want to hear from you and to learn more about why you are interested in attending our school. We are not looking for perfection, we are looking for students who engage with the questions in a genuine manner.
In the video please describe who you are and why you want to attend BHSEC and respond to either of the two questions:
- If you could change one thing about New York to make it a better place, what would it be?
- How has the COVID-19 epidemic affected you as a student? As a person?