About the Assessment
The BHSEC Assessment was created and developed by the BHSEC faculty and administration to assess applicants writing, thinking, and mathematical skills.
- There are two parts to the assessment: a math section which assesses the student’s current math level, and an essay writing section based on a selected reading.
- Applicants are given one and a half hours to complete the entire assessment.
- There are no test preparation materials for this assessment.
Registering for the Assessment
You must register before taking the assessment. Online registration will began September 7, 2017. If the applicant attends a public or charter school it is helpful to have the student’s OSIS number and the school’s DBN number available during registration. Students who require special accommodations, should carefully read the “Students Eligible for Special Testing Accommodations” section below.
We try to make it as convenient as possible for you so that if you are applying to both campuses, you only need to take the assessment one time. However, if you are invited back for an interview, you will be interviewed at the location where you took the assessment. Please consult our admissions requirements before signing up for an assessment.
Please be aware that it may take over 5 weeks to process an assessment.
Note: BHSEC Manhattan is not considering students for the 10th grade.
Bard High School Early College Manhattan Assessments
525 East Houston Street, New York, NY 10002
Fall 2017 Dates (registration closes 10/18/17 at 1:00pm)
General Education Students
(Students who have an IEP, 504 or comparable should read the “Students Eligible for Special Testing Accommodations”)
Tuesday, Oct. 3 4:00 pm (notifications have been sent to 9th grade applicants)
Tuesday, Oct. 10 4:00 pm (most of the notifications have been sent to 9th grade applicants)
Tuesday, Oct. 17 4:00 pm (most of the notifications have been sent to 9th grade applicants)
Tuesday, Oct. 24 4:00 pm (most of the notifications have been sent to 9th grade applicants)
Saturday, Oct. 28 9:30 am, 12:00 pm, 2:30 pm (still sending notifications)
Monday, Oct. 30 4:00 pm (will begin sending notifications 12/4/17)
Students Eligible for Special Testing Accommodations
Students with disabilities who have Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) or approved 504 Accommodation Plans are eligible for supports and accommodations on tests. Students must complete the online registration form and submit the page of their current IEP and/or approved 504 Accommodation Plan that includes the complete description of the testing accommodation(s) by Oct. 7, 2017. Fax: 212-777-4702 Attn: Admissions or E-mail: Manhattan@bhsec.bard.edu
Special Testing Accommodations Dates
All Testing Accommodations (Any student who requires any type of special testing accommodations)
Tuesday, Nov. 7 9:00 am and 12:30 pm (still sending notifications to 9th grade applicants)
For assessments at Bard High School Early College Queens, please click here.
What to Bring to the Assessment
- A copy of your final report card from your previous grade. Applicants applying to the 9th grade should bring their final 7th grade report card. Applicants applying to the 10th grade should bring their final 8th grade report card. If your attendance is not included on your report card, please submit an attendance report as well*.
- A sharpened # 2 pencil.
- A silent non-smart watch to pace yourself. The proctor will provide time cues.
Items not to be used during the assessment:
- Any electronic device (cell phone, media player, head phones, camera ect.). Electronic devices must be turned off and be stored out of sight while in the building.