Bard High School Early College is a public, non-specialized, and screened high school/early college.
Eighth-grade applicants who are interested in our program must fill out the Department of Education’s High School Application on MySchools. Please ask your guidance counselor for additional information about the high school ranking website. Students who are applying from private or parochial schools are advised to speak with their school’s principal. Students may rank up to 12 non-specialized programs/schools on the Department of Education High School Application in addition to the specialized and audition high schools. Please note that students who apply to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens must list these as two separate choices. Please review program/school choices and carefully prioritize the list. We strongly recommend that you seek advice from your guidance counselor and review the NYC High School Directory before ranking programs.
2022-2023 Admissions Information
The following is required of all students who apply to BHSEC Queens:
- a completed BHSEC assessment to be submitted on the Myschools application.
- a completed Department of Education’s High School Application on MySchools.
- currently resides in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
About the assessment and rubric components
The BHSEC Assessment was created and developed by the BHSEC faculty and administration to assess applicants writing, thinking, and interest in an early college.
- There are two parts to the assessment: two writing prompts and a short video statement.
- The answers to the writing prompts are to be typed or copy and uploaded to Myschools. They should be approximately 250-500 words or 1200-2500 characters per prompt. The answers should be well organized and well written, showing clarity, and creative or original thinking.
- The video statement should be no more than 2 minutes and will also need to be submitted on Myschools. The applicant should be engaging, clear, and show signs of preparation.
Rubric components and weights
How to Take the Online Assessment
Before you begin our online assessment please read the requirements and tips listed below:
- In order to be eligible for possible admissions for FALL 2023, you must currently be a New York City resident.
- You must complete our assessment on Myschools. This video will show you how to upload the assessment once you are complete.
- You must fill out and submit a NYC High School application in MySchools listing Bard High School Early College as one of your 12 choices. Ranking order matters. Please rank Bard High School Early College in preference order. If you are applying to both campuses then these need to be separate choices.
- If you require special accommodations for testing please email [email protected]
- Video statements must be under 2 minutes.
- Review your video to ensure that there is sound and picture before uploading it.
- Applications without a video will result in lower scores. All three parts are mandatory.
- Essay Prompts 250-500 words or 1200-2500 characters.
- The deadline for the online assessment is December 9th, 2022.
Click HERE for the Bard Assessment. You must upload the responses directly on Myschools.
Click HERE for the Department of Education’s Screened School Page.