We are currently working on a plan for 2021-2022 admissions with safety and equity in mind. Please check back in January 2022 for updates. You can also sign up for updates to be sent to you. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Bard High School Early College is a public, non-specialized, and screened high school/early college.
Eighth and ninth grade applicants who are interested in our program must fill out the Department of Education’s High School Application on MySchools. Please ask your guidance counselor for additional information about the high school ranking website. Students who are applying from private or parochial schools are advised to speak With your school’s principal or headmaster for guidance. Students may rank up to 12 non-specialized programs/schools on the Department of Education High School Application in addition to the specialized and audition high schools. Please note that students who apply to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens must list these as two separate choices. Please review program/school choices and carefully prioritize the list. We strongly recommend that you seek advice from your guidance counselor and review the NYC High School Directory before ranking programs.
The following information is from our admissions process from the 2020-2021 school year.
The following is required of all students who apply to BHSEC Queens:
- a completed BHSEC assessment*
- a completed Department of Education’s High School Application on MySchools.
- currently resides in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
*The requirements for a student with disabilities will be modified based on the student’s IEP.
About the assessment and rubric components
The BHSEC Assessment was created and developed by the BHSEC faculty and administration to assess applicants writing, thinking, and interest in an early college.
- There are two parts to the assessment: two writing prompts and a short video statement.
- The answers to the writing prompts are to be typed or copy and pasted into the Google Form. They should be approximately 200-500 words or 1100-2500 characters per prompt . The answers should be well organized and well written, showing clarity, and creative or original thinking.
- The video statement should be between 1-2 minutes and less than 1 GB and uploaded to the Google Form. The applicant should be engaging, clear, and show signs of preparation.
Rubric components and weights
- 2019-20 Marking Period Grades – 10%
- Humanities Response – 30%
- STEM Response – 30%
- Video Response – 30%
How to Take the Online Assessment
Before you begin our online assessment please read requirements and tips listed below:
- In order to be eligible for possible admissions for FALL 2021, you must currently be a New York City resident.
- You must complete an assessment with our school.
- You must fill out and submit a NYC High School application in MySchools listing Bard High School Early College as one of your 12 choices. Ranking order matters. Please rank Bard High School Early College in preference order. If you are applying to both campuses then these need to be separate choices.
- If you require special accommodations for testing please email email@example.com.
- If you attend a public school, have your 9 digit student ID OSIS number available.
- You need to have a GMAIL account to upload your video. In the event that you do not, please create a GMAIL account and then proceed. If you do not wish to create a GMAIL account, you will need to complete the online assessment and then email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emailed video submissions must be made the same day as submitting the online assessment.
- You will not be able to return to the online assessment once you submit it, therefore, it is best to create the video first and THEN fill out the online assessment.
- Video statements must be under 2 minutes and under 1GB.
- Review your video to ensure that there is sound and picture before uploading it.
- Applications without a video will result in lower scores
- Essay Prompts: 200-500 words or 1100-2500 characters
- All fields with asterisk (*) are required.
- The deadline for the online assessment is March 1, 2021
- Click HERE for the assessment
In the past we have held one on one interviews to get to know each applicant. We are not able to meet with you in person this year due to the pandemic. However we still want to hear from you and to learn more about why you are interested in attending our school. We are not looking for perfection, we are looking for students who engage with the questions in a genuine manner.
In the video please describe who you are and why you want to attend BHSEC and respond to either of the two questions:
- If you could change one thing about New York to make it a better place, what would it be?
- How has the COVID-19 epidemic affected you as a student? As a person?