Bard High School Early College is a public, non-specialized, and screened high school/early college.
Eighth and ninth grade applicants who are interested in our program must fill out the Department of Education’s High School Application. Please ask your guidance counselor for this form. Students who are applying from private or parochial schools are advised to speak with your school’s principal or headmaster to obtain a Department of Education High School Application. Students may rank up to 12 non-specialized programs/schools on the Department of Education High School Application in addition to the specialized and audition high schools. Please note that students who apply to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens must list these as two separate choices. Please review program/school choices and carefully prioritize the list. We strongly recommend that you seek advice from your guidance counselor and review the NYC High School Directory before ranking programs
When reviewing applicants who apply to 9th grade to BHSEC Manhattan, we generally look for:
- a grade point average of 85% or above
- no more than 10 unexcused absences or 10 tardies for the school year
The following is required of all students who apply to BHSEC Manhattan:
- a completed BHSEC math and writing assessment*
- a completed Department of Education’s High School Application
The requirements for a student with disabilities will be modified based on the student’s IEP.
How to Apply
1. If you fit our admissions profile, reserve a seat at our next writing and math assessment. If applying to both schools, you only need to take the assessment once. Please do not register for an assessment at both places. Click here to register.
2. Bring a copy of your 7th grade June report card from (if applying to 10th grade, please bring your 8th grade final report card) on the day you are scheduled to take the assessment. The report card is for our records and will not be returned to you.
3. Rank BHSEC Manhattan and/or BHSEC Queens on your Department of Education (DOE) High School Application. Remember, if you are applying to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens, you need to list them as two separate choices. The Program Code for the Manhattan campus is M51A, and the Program Code for the Queens campus is Q74B. Click here for more information on the DOE high school admission process.
4. Students who demonstrate strong abilities in their grades and the assessment will be invited to an interview at BHSEC. Not all students will be asked to interview at BHSEC. We will contact all students by email if they are eligible for an interview. This is the final step in the BHSEC admission process.